Saturday, July 24, 2010

My five days/four nights there were action-packed…from the first moment of my tumbling out of the Tro-tro from Accra with bits of dusty baggage falling out after me to be greeted at my new front gate by an array of chiefs, elders, assembly-person. all in full ceremonial garb!

And then almost non-stop until my departure four days later after another three-hour meeting with my American ‘sponsor’/backer? ..and my counterpart, supervisor
and the same chiefs and elders!


Whuti is a farming and fishing community on the isthmus at the extreme Eastern end of the Ghanaian coastline. The isthmus, which is composed almost completely of sand, is about 25 miles long and from about 1km to 2.5 kms wide. On one side, to the north is the Keta Lagoon which is freshwater and is part of the Volta Estuary and on the other side is the lusty Gulf of Guinea . It ‘s a cross between Fire Island and maybe something in the Carolinas

No comments:

Post a Comment